1. This World Wide Web (WWW) site is provided as a public service by the Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC).
2. Information presented on this WWW site is considered public information and may be distributed or copied unless otherwise specified. Use of appropriate byline/photo/image credits is requested.
3. For site management, information is collected for statistical purposes. This government computer system uses software programs to create summary statistics, which are used for such purposes as assessing what information is of most and least interest, determining technical design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas.
4. For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this government computer system employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
5. Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used for no other purposes and are scheduled for regular destruction in accordance with the National Archives and Records Administration's General Records Schedule 20 (Electronic Records)
6. Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.
7. If you have any questions or comments about the information presented here, please forward them to us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC) has conducted Privacy Impact Assessments (PIAs) and has one System of Records Notice (SORN) applicable to the Defense User Registration System Records:
COPYRIGHT NOTICE: TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE
The Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC) is a U.S. Government agency and provides information on this Web site as a public service of the U.S. Department of Defense. It includes both material that is and is not protected by copyright law.
What is not protected by Copyright.
U.S. Government works prepared by officers and employees of the U.S. Government as part of their official duties are not protected by copyright in the U.S. (See 17 USC §105). These works may be copied and distributed in their entirety without permission. Users should note and attribute the U.S. Government agency and private author when incorporating works of the U.S. Government in a copyrighted publication. (See 17 USC §403 )
Caution: Be advised that government works may contain copyrighted
material (e.g. quote, photograph, chart, drawing, etc.) used with
permission. Copyrighted material incorporated in a U.S. Government
work retains its copyright protection. Permission from the copyright
holder may be necessary if you wish to reproduce this material separately
in another context.
What is protected by Copyright.
Contractors and grantees are not considered Government employees; generally they hold copyright to works they produce for the Government. Other non-Government organizations and authors, including foreign governments and international organizations, also hold copyright in their works.
U.S. Government Uses of Copyrighted Works
DTIC provides copyrighted materials under a nonexclusive, irrevocable, paid-up royalty-free worldwide license which permits the U.S. Government to use, modify, reproduce, release, perform, display or disclose these works by or on behalf of the U.S. Government. Federal employees and agencies may use these works in accordance with the Government data rights license.
General Public Uses of Copyrighted Works
The Government license in copyrighted materials is non-transferable to the public. The Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Based on your analysis, you may need to seek permission from the copyright owner if your intended use of copyrighted information is beyond the limitations on author exclusive rights allowed by law (17 USC §107 - §122 ).
Databases and some publications created by DTIC staff are works of the U.S. Government. These may be reproduced or used without permission. DTIC should be acknowledged as the source. Credit byline: Defense Technical Information Center. U.S. Government Work (17 USC §105)
Technical Reports Database
Citations not copyrighted
Citations to individual documents in the DTIC Technical Report (TR) Database are created by DTIC federal employees. These are U.S. Government works and may be reproduced or used without permission from DTIC.
Full-Text documents may be copyrighted
Individual full-text documents will have different copyright conditions that will be noted on those documents or in the citation.
DTIC encourages links to our World Wide Web pages. No permission is required to link to public release information. Some of the documents may contain live references (or "pointers") to information created and maintained by other organizations. DTIC does not control and cannot guarantee the copyright status, relevance, timeliness, or accuracy of the outside materials. Users should review each document to determine its copyright status and whether use is appropriate.
It is the user's responsibility to determine the copyright status of a work and whether additional permission from the copyright holder is necessary. DTIC can not confirm copyright status for any item. DTIC, as a policy, does not sign documents stating that particular items are not copyrighted. Government works are not copyright protected; therefore, no written permission is required to use them. For all other works, permission should be obtained directly from the copyright holder.
References for more information:
Disclaimer of Liability: With respect to documents available from this server, neither the United States Government nor any of its employees, makes any warranty, express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose; nor assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, or process disclosed; nor represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights.
Disclaimer of Endorsement: Reference herein to any
specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark,
manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply
its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States
Government. The views and opinions of authors expressed herein do
not necessarily state or reflect those of the United States Government,
and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
Disclaimer for External Links: The appearance of hyperlinks on this page does not constitute endorsement (by the Federal Government, Department of Defense, or the Defense Technical Information Center) of linked web sites or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities, the Defense Technical Information Center does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at linked locations. External links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD web site.